About the Scholarship
The scholarships are intended to support the attendance of a summer music program for woodwind, brass, and percussion students with a passion for their instrument. The scholarships will be available to students who are presently in grades 8-11 who reside in New Jersey. Awards will be based upon a recommendation from their music educator (either public or private), an interview, and an audition. The scholarships will provide an amount sufficient to cover tuition of a high caliber summer residential music camp with a quality music faculty for a minimum of one week. Two scholarships will be awarded:
Currently in grade 8 or 9
Scholarship award up to $500
Currently in grade 10 or 11
Scholarship award up to $1250
The recipient of the senior division scholarship will also perform with the Hanover Wind Symphony on a Fall concert program.
Candidates will be interviewed and audition for a small committee of HWS members who will make the final decision.
All candidates in grades 8—11 who wish to apply should provide the following:
- Prepared solo of your choice (no accompaniment).
- Recommendation of school or private music teacher which speaks to your experience, musicianship, and dedication to music.
- Please list of up to three potential music camps the student would like to attend in the summer of 2020.
- Music resume.
- Essay on your enthusiasm for music in 200 words or less.
- Note: Family of current HWS members are ineligible to apply. Previous scholarship winners cannot reapply for a scholarship in the same division they were awarded.
Application along with teacher recommendation should be postmarked by February 15, 2020.
Auditions will be held in April 2020.
**Scholarship funds will be distributed upon proof of acceptance to an approved summer music program.
Questions should be directed to Gail Lalk at email@example.com.
Applications should be mailed to:
Hanover Wind Symphony Scholarship 2020
P.O. Box 100
Whippany, NJ 07981